Monday, June 29, 2009

equality, my foot - 2


















Thank you for your comments people on the first blog. I also want to share some information - the Pride week in Bangalore is a huge hit. Many GLBT people were there celebrating their gayness. Many straight allies (like myself) were also there showing their support to humanity. Now India is really shining, I guess.
I do believe self acceptance is important but do you know how cops here in Bangalore treat Gay people. They hit them, levy un-necessary fines etc. Imagine at a job interview if you are openly gay, would you get a job. A friend of mine and myself together did an experiment back while I was in Utah. We applied to the same job in different ways. Everything in those resumes is the same except the name. We had on there a Muslim name, a Hindu name, a person who is openly gay and the original name. Guess who got the job. Then we changed the qualification and skill set - the resume with original name has minimal qualification/skill sets of all the resumes. You would not be surprised as to whose resume was short listed. (The original name, in case you did not guess). All the companies we applied to claimed they hire people from every background (the usual disclaimer riff raff). So where is equality?

Many of you who read my blog are people who know me on a personal level. You know at least a few things about me. I would like to ask you openly if you would be the same if I say I am Gay. I have gotten an answer already which is a NO. I do respect the person’s opinion and I promise I wont judge you all based on what you think. So please be honest and open. You can email me on dheerajvalkya@gmail.com in case you are not too comfortable for people to see your reply. But before answering the question I would like you to ponder over the times we have had together. Think about me as a person, as a friend, as a brother and how it would affect you. Thank you in advance for your time.

I guess I am done for today. I am very sick and the thoughts are overwhelming. There are so many thoughts right now; I feel my brain could explode. On a different note, B-schools in Bangalore (I guess many in India) have banned gum (as in chewing gum, bubble gum etc) in their campuses. Their reason for doing so – their students, the future business/management people should have good behavior/manners. I laughed out loud because in my engineering college we were not allowed to wear Jeans. How about banning writing utensils, you make mistakes while planning for a business deal. How about food because it makes us fart in a meeting room. I feel B-schools are going bonkers because of the in-coming student traffic because of recession.

My closing comment in equality – 1 is by Russell Peters. In this blog the pictures are from Peeves.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about the hate mail you received! I am happy to see the marches in metro areas. If it fails to achieve anything, at least, it will get people talking. Hate is not an option, regardless of our differences.

SK7 said...

huh, dheeraj, ur brave to take this topic forward,
if i am in ur place, i would just ignore it. :-P

u talk about homo-equality here; but sad to see the situation of ppl looking for jobs outside .. i am talking in general and the damn fact is that the recruiters are "taking advantage" of any small situation every where. losers.

Unknown said...

well dheeraj....i often wondered...why was equality as a term attributed to bisexuals....just beacuse they could have the best of both worlds...i would understand if it were for the nauture's biased nature towards a selected few (GLT)..nevertheles we claim equality in a new genre here...what about equality of existing norms since the 1900s...they still seem ignored .....