Sunday, January 8, 2012

back to basics

Maulaa maulaaa maulaa mere maulaaa......croons the laptop.

The song though is a tribute, it has many a time given me a different meaning. I mean I could attribute it to any distinctive occurrence in my life. Now these are the lines…

Sar utake maine toh kitni khwaishen ki thi
Kitne khwab dekhe the, kitni koshishen ki thi

It roughly translates to “I dared to proudly chart out my aspirations and I dreamt innumerable dreams and tried to fulfill them all….”


There is one place in the whole wide world where these exact words resonate to me all the time. I happened to, on the spur of the moment get there using my most favored mode of transport with nothing to accompany me other than the sound of wind and everything we believe is mundane.

Got my old companion repaired. I rode bikes for as long as I could remember but there was a time before the bikes I used to ride my bicycle everywhere, my most faithful companion. It was given to me a surprise years ago while I was 9 years old. I was begging for a bic
ycle for more than a year then and my parents did the obvious (well obvious to you knowing my penchant for giving surprises – now you know where I get it from). They bought the bike in the exact color I would have loved with the seat fixed to the right height I like riding (I like riding it a tad higher – just for the kick). They sneaked the bike into our neighbours house, I was playing cricket on the streets and I am not sure how or when they did it. I was woken up in the middle of the night, they staged a sound in the living room and asked me to go check what it was. I walked into the room and bingo was I surprised, a spanking brand new cycle. I kid you not I fainted.

The bike was there when I asked out my first crush, took her out on evening moon lit rides in the dark streets (get ya mind off the gutter, it was just romantic nothing more), made plans to conquer the world (who wouldnot have) bought groceries home, raced on the streets, the occasional stunts (I know you expected this coming)….you get the picture.

The reason I went on and on about the cycle is because, it was there when I made plans in pursuit of my calling. Helped me clear my thoughts those days when the mind was cluttered. Now after 16 years of being together where I neglected it for a good 8 years, I went to the basement of our apartment to look for it half expecting it to be stolen. But found it in
a dilapidated condition. Took it out mustering a non existent apology, got it repaired and when I got on the cycle to retrace the old route (from my home to my school) the familiar clang of the chain combined with the screeching noise from the brake felt like it was greeting me. Ok ok, not a mere greeting but reprimanding me for betraying it. Once we fell into the rhythm it was like slicing thorough a cake and that is when I thought life should not be more complicated than that.


I painted after 12 years with the same brush I used to win a competition at school. Wore the same shirt I wore for my high school graduation (surprisingly, it fits well), spoke to
some of my oldest friends, my teachers, played same games with my sister we used to play as kids and spoke to my first mentors (my parents)

I just revisited my love for simple things in life, how I do not care about stuff – no matter what sentimental value it holds. I want to lead a life where I could be an example to many. I say that not because I am the best of men but I am a man who has traveled far, saw lif
e in a way only people dream of, done things which many people deem to be crazy, lived the dream life of many men and men yet to come. I do not have a regret. I do not. I am here and I have arrived.


4 comments:

KLKR said...

Ha! Finally the old Dhira is back I guess :-)

I am very happy that you have taken time to go back to basics ra!

Vasudha and Sreekanth said...

I can thoroughly understand how sometimes we need to get back to where it all began just to rediscover ourself that really was there all the time under all that dust :)

Guns said...

adi nijam ga nuvvu kaabatte cheyagaligav ra.. maa lanti vallu anukunna chese dhairam/sahasam ledu.. anduke nuvvu dheera vi.. Keep it up.. :)

another yatisa said...

Alright.....now its time to go straight ahead with you know what, right? the basics....