Monday, April 9, 2012

Thought for India



Not many of you are familiar with me applying to be a fellow with Teach for India. Here is my take on what has happened.

The selection process is quite competitive, I am not gonna go into much detail but 3 essays, a phone interview, a mock session and then a tediously long personal interview is what it entails. I was keen on being a fellow (that’s what they call the people working with TFI) until I saw the email calling me for a final interview. I believe the words they used were – the interviewees are expected to behave professionally. Agreed they might have had an issue with misbehavior in the past but that should not form a basis for stereotyping. It also seemed as if they were addressing a juvenile bunch but not professionals from different walks of life. I admit I took personal offence with the poor choice of words ~ strike 1

I entered the premises where the interviews were conducted and was surprised to see two Americans dressed in traditional Indian clothes representing TFI. Babak and Catherine were with Teach for America and now are the program managers of the TFI program at Mumbai. They mentioned they have worked with TFA for over 3 years and now moved on to help TFI grow in India, I am sorry but I do not think it’s a novel cause. TFI is modeled along the lines of TFA employing fresh graduates/working professionals to put themselves into an entirely different environment and then counts on their success. I just fail to understand how someone from an entirely different background, utterly clueless about our culture, who taught in an environment that is considered decent (some might even call it a privilege but I won’t stretch it here), is bound to train these TFI fellows in tackling with the challenges they are bound to face. Let me be frank here, suggesting therapy for stress release (like in the US) or Bikram Yoga for relaxation (since this is India) is not going to work in the current setting.

Having worked with a few underprivileged groups in the United States, I initially considered applying for TFA while I was in the US. During my preparatory process, I was able to talk to many people who have either pursued TFA or have been fellows. What I witnessed was appalling. A significant number of the applicants have excelled in their college but just want to build their resume. Some have confessed they haven’t thought of the situations they were going to be placed and did not have an understanding of the support they might get. I felt happy I was not allowed to apply (not a US citizen)

TFI is another matter, started with great intent in mind I believe if the question – whether or not 2 years is sufficient for a fellow to bring about a change in the kids’ lives. I am sorry if I am professing myself as skeptic here, I just am being pragmatic. Placing the fellows in such situations I believe is an imminent bargain with children’s future. You might argue they have a program manager who is going to monitor their teaching, give them feedback yada yada yada, I maintain my stand – the PMs are not Indians. They do not understand an iota about what it is to come from a background where basic resources are considered luxury.

 Where is the consistency that the kids need; or the understanding of the happening in day to day life. Shaving your head doesn't mean you are a follower of Hare Krishna movement, similarly reading about underprivileged kids in the newspapers doesn't make you an expert. The kids under the current system need teachers who have the support, knowledge and experience to be able to teach successfully, and for the teachers to stick around and provide consistency. I felt the focal intention is to create advocates outside the classroom than cultivate teachers ~ strike 2

The interview starts and the first question posed to me “we asked you to behave professionally why are you not dressed up professionally?”  Two strikes later sitting in front of her I was challenging my decision to become a fellow and Cathy by popping the question helped quicken my decision. Everything said and done the only thing that should count is my ability to teach or to rise up to the situation for which my educational background and other points I mentioned in my resume should form the basis for debate. But if you prioritize something so puny (I was wearing a kurta pajama – which is an Indian’s traditional garb) over everything else, I don’t think I need a genius to say “Hey Dhir, can they prioritize kids over everything else?” this is the same atmosphere that I saw in Indian schools over the years, which is why I wanted to join TFI in the first place and this American woman parades around replicating the same. Thanks but no thanks. Out of respect I had for education I went ahead with the hour and half interview ~ OUT!

When has American system become the uncrowned king of education systems?
The education system in America is broken and if you try to convince me saying it is America they must know what they are doing – I am sorry my friend I do not think they can impose their broken system on other countries.

When I received an email from TFI 3 weeks later, I did not feel like devoting any extra time than I already did. I simply did not open the email which still lies in my inbox.

No comments: